Monday, October 26, 2009

maybe I should wear my glasses...


I finish packing away my things on the third floor of the Science Library and log off the computer on my way to lunch. As quickly as I stand up, another student swoops in like a magpie after a diamond and claims the computer. Why is it so crowded in here?!

I walk towards the lift but alas, it was already descending. As I briefly contemplate waiting for the other, the neighbouring stairs beckon with fanciful promises of a long and healthy life. I succumb.

Mid-way down the last flight of stairs to the ground floor, I see my friend dressed in the same summery blue top and jeans she was wearing that morning, with her blue and purple backpack on her back talking to the lady librarian at the desk. Good thing I wasn't lazy and took the lift, otherwise I would have missed seeing her, as she missed my call...again.

I call out her name as I walk down the last few steps. She doesn't hear me. She's writing on the clipboard on the side of the desk. I walk closer and call her name again. I'm now standing only a mere 20cm away from her. The Asian guy on her other side looks at me. I don't know him. Just as I'm about to tap her on the shoulder, I stop. Something was holding me back.

The girl's black hair is tied back in a loose bun, held up with black plastic pins. Hold on, she's never worn her hair like that. I take a casual inconspicuous step to the right so I'm now slightly behind her and lean to look at her backpack. Her backpack doesn't have graffiti all over it.

Omgosh, I'm standing right next to a complete stranger.

I look around quickly for a reason, anything, to explain my behaviour. I find none.

Seeing no other option, no way to possibly explain my presence there, I decide the only thing to do is to disappear from that location A.S.A.P. I avoid eye-contact with the guy she's with, mumble something incomprehensible and walk briskly out the exit.
it's also embarrassing when someone waves in my direction, and i wave back... only then realising they're waving to someone behind me, and so i pretend to scratch an itch on my head...but I know they know... and they know i know they know.
-------
Have you ever been walking down the street and realized that you're going in the complete opposite direction of where you are supposed to be going? But instead of just turning a 180 and walking back in the direction from which you came, you have to first do something like check your watch or phone or make a grand arm gesture and mutter to yourself to ensure that no one in the surrounding area thinks you're crazy by randomly switching directions on the sidewalk.
- ruminations.com

3 comments:

  1. ahhhh now I see. And wonder who that other 'anonymous' comment is from :P.

    ReplyDelete